Age of Steam Roundhouse seeks a Site Interpreter.
Position Description: Site Interpreter (Part Time)
Reports to: Education and Public Programming Coordinator
Site Interpreters will be responsible for leading and delivering 1-2 hour long guided walking tours of the Age of Steam Roundhouse, museum exhibits, and restoration shop. Successful candidates should expect to participate in training on customer service, basic principles of interpretation, and aspects of the history and physical science of steam railroading. Interpreters will work closely with staff, volunteers, and interns as they deliver enjoyable and thought-provoking programs on the history and physical science of steam railroading. Interpreters may also support education, programming, and special events by assisting with other tasks as assigned.
Primary Duties Include:
- Welcoming visitors as they arrive to the visitor center and museum and engaging them in conversation to pique their interest.
- Accompany visitor tour groups to keep them together and ensure their safety throughout guided walking tours of the roundhouse and facilities.
- Practice situational awareness. Inform visitors of safety standards and keep visitors aware of their surroundings and alert to potential hazards.
- Participate in training sessions to learn the basics of interpretation.
- Become familiar with the AoS collections, facilities, exhibits, and best practices.
- Learn about our collection of antique steam locomotives and their significance to history and physical science.
- Lead interpretive tours and programs of the roundhouse collection and facilities.
- Respond to visitors’ questions, by providing accurate answers and feedback.
- Assist with opening and closing the roundhouse and facilities
- Assist with public programming and special events
- Interest in American History, Physical Science, Steam Railroading, and/or Public History
- Excellent public speaking skills and/or prior presentation experience
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Commitment to deliver excellent customer service.
- Ability to work with large groups independently and professionally.
- Ability to adjust to changing situations. Ability to commit to a flexible work schedule, including nights and weekends.
- Reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license. Must pass a background check
- Ability to lift and carry 25+ lbs., stand on feet for extended periods of time, arrange furniture (tables, chairs, desks), and climb on ladders
Salary Range: $10 per hour
Job Classification: Part-time
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume and references to: [email protected]. Deadline to apply: April 1, 2019. For more information, visit www.ageofsteamroundhouse.org.
Posted: March 4, 2019
Deadline: April 1, 2019