American Sign Museum seeks an Education Intern.
The education intern will support the museum’s mission to celebrate the history of American signage through preservation and education by assisting with programs that engage people through signage. The ASM is seeking individuals who are organized, reliable, and fun loving who are excited to use their skills to help the Museum grow.
Time commitment: 160-200 hours over a 10-week period Compensation: a stipend of $2400-$3000 ($240-$300 weekly)
Reports To: Manager of Digital Communications and Engagement
Internship scope: The ASM is currently expanding its program offerings and interactive interpretation opportunities for youth and adult audiences. The Education Intern will develop program proposals and lesson plans that will further the Museum’s mission while adhering to budgets and, with guidance from the Manager of Digital Communications and Engagement, implement their programs or interactives. The Education Intern will work with the Manager of Digital Communications to determine the projects the Intern will lead. General work hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-4pm. Additional hours may be available dependent on the times and dates of scheduled programs and events.
Possible projects include:
- Developing and launching a Speaker series program for the Museum
- Developing and piloting curriculum-based school tours
- Developing interactive talks and displays to engage visitors
- Developing crafts and activities to engage visitors
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse audience
- Interest or experience in history, graphic arts, and/or technology
- Familiarity with educational theory and informal learning preferred
- Experience working with children preferred
- Free admission to the Museum and select programs during the internship
- Museum tee shirt
- Connection to professionals in the museum field
- Connection to professionals in the sign industry
- Free parking
- Flexible shifts
Salary range: $15 per hour
Job classification: Hourly, internship
To apply: Please email a resume and general internship application available at https://www.americansignmuseum.org/Careers to Erin Holland at [email protected]. The American Sign Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1976, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and other applicable employment laws. The ASM does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of an individual’s race, color, gender, religion, creed, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. This policy applies to all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, placement, compensation, promotion, discipline, and termination.
Posted: November 11, 2022