The Cincinnati Museum Center seeks a 1st Shift Public Safety Officer.
The statements below reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the major job responsibilities of the identified position and are not to be constructed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job. An asterisk (*) indicates that this is an essential function of the job as outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The Security & Public Safety Officer reports to their shift supervisor and is responsible for the security and public safety at all Cincinnati Museum Center (CMC) properties. b Officers will patrol inside the Museums and exhibits, the outside perimeter of the building, and CMC grounds. Officers will monitor video surveillance, alarm systems, and access control systems. Officers will respond to emergencies, assist in the evacuation of patrons and staff, and apply basic first aid when needed. The Security & Public Safety Officer will provide a safe, hospitable and engaging environment for our patrons, guests, and staff to enjoy. Officers will follow the BOE quality standards of the “I Drive Our Culture of Excellence” program, and the Museum Center’s Mission Statement.
Security and Safety Functions (80% of duties)
- Perform First Aid in emergencies as needed, in alignment with CMC policies and procedures.
- Patrol 500,000 square foot building and grounds, open heavy doors, climb steep stairs and ladders to complete indoor and outdoor security rounds.*
- Inspect for security issues, including unlocked doors, unsecure areas, and unauthorized access.
- Generate written reports in a clear and precise manner.* i.e., Accident / Injury reports, Daily activity logs, and investigation report supplements.
- Coordinate effectively with other staff to solve problems, including through telephone, walkie-talkie, and base station radio microphone.*
- Monitor video surveillance, alarm systems, and access control systems.*
- Respond to alarms and security issues, including but not limited to guests in restricted areas, unlocked doors, fire alarms, hostile guests or employees, and damage, destruction, or vandalism of museum property and exhibits.*
- Maintain key log, and control badge and key access.
- Operate fire alarm system.*
- Operate intrusion alarm system.*
- Make identification badges and format security clearances.
- Work with other museum staff to ensure that all egress paths for fire safety are planned for and executed properly during emergencies.
- Other security and safety duties as assigned by Public Safety Supervisor and Director of Public Safety.
Customer Service Functions (20% of duties)
- Candidate must prioritize and demonstrate the five Building Organizational Excellence (B.O.E.) tenants of “Safety, Hospitality, Engaging, Effectiveness, and Creditability” while conducting CMC business.
- Maintain “Lost and Found” storage system. Assist guests and employees with questions or concerns regarding museum business, including but not limited to directions, loading and unloading, special events, parking, and museum services.
- Assist vehicle lock-outs.
- Assist stranded train passengers, or early passengers.
- Present a neat, clean, and non-threatening appearance for employees and guests.
- Interact with a wide range of personalities in a friendly and customer service oriented manner.
- Other customer service duties as assigned by Public Safety Supervisor and Director of Public Safety.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of experience in security or a related field, including law enforcement, fire, military, or EMS.
- Must pass a background check.
- Be at least 18 years of age, have a valid driver’s license, and safe driving history.
- Be CPR, AED, and First Aid certified, or willing to become certified.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be comfortable with the use of personal computers and standard software such as word processor, database, email, web browsers, and spread sheet programs.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure, especially during emergencies.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively solve multiple issues simultaneously.
- Normal office environment when doing administrative tasks associated with this position.
- Must be able to stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to move briskly through the building, climb ladders and stairs, and respond quickly to alarms or emergencies that require security involvement, including the ability to physically assist in evacuating patrons or staff in need.
- May be exposed to all weather conditions when performing rounds and duties outside.
- May be exposed to loud noises and a noisy office environment.
- May work flexible hours on various shifts and various days. Weekend and
- Holiday, and Evening work may be regularly required.
- May be exposed to hostile or uncooperative guests and employees.
- Hear normal conversation (Hearing aids acceptable)
- Be able to bend, stoop, or work with hands above shoulder level.
- Be able to perform physical duties, including but not limited to ability to safely lift and operate a 50 pound fire extinguisher, lift and carry a small child (50 pounds) to safety, place a person of at least 100 pounds into a wheel chair, administer basic first aid, and administer advanced first aid when properly trained.
Salary: $12/hour (7 am-3 pm)
Job classification: hourly
To apply: Jobs - Cincinnati Museum Center (cincymuseum.org)
Posted: June 3, 2021