Darke County Historical Society (Garst Museum) seeks a Development Director.
Garst Museum is adding the position of Development Director to its staff to ensure that it remains an award-winning institution of excellence. Sustaining and enhancing the 35,000 square-foot facility in Greenville, Ohio, its 300,000 artifacts, and permanent exhibits of national significance and recognition (Annie Oakley, Lowell Thomas, the Treaty of Greenville, Ohio’s Native Americans, and the multi-racial settlement of Longtown) will require external funds. These funds exist at local, state, and national levels, and the process of securing these funds is challenging and often very competitive.
The Development Director will be essential to the Garst Museum’s mission to collect, exhibit, and preserve its assets by cultivating relationships among past, current, and potential donors and sponsors. The director will be recruiting volunteers for development activities and overseeing the fundraising process, including preparation of proposals, grant applications, fundraising publications, correspondence, and reports.
This position is an exciting opportunity for a fundraising professional to showcase expertise in fund development, donor and public relations, networking, event planning, and grant writing for 25-30 hours per week at a salary commensurate with experience. Strong skills in fundraising, leadership, communication, sales/marketing along with a bachelor’s degree in Business, Communication, or a related field—and passion for Garst’s mission—are necessary.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Related Field (Marketing or Communication Degree preferred)
Experience: Fundraising, public relations, sales/marketing (preferred)
Skills: Strong interpersonal and written communication skills; self-motivated; team-oriented; consistent follow-through; attention to detail; analytical and problem solving; flexible
- Provide leadership and management of fundraising efforts to support the strategic direction of the Darke County Historical Society (Garst Museum).
- Understand and communicate the mission of the Darke County Historical Society (Garst Museum) in a compelling message to effectively engage potential donors.
- Collaborate with museum CEO, staff, and board of trustees to create a development plan and strategy that includes short-term, annual and longterm implementation.
- Collaborate with museum committees and department that support development, including membership, special events, interns, administration, trustees, and volunteers.
- Manage direct mail marketing, fundraising publications, individual annual giving, major gift development, planned giving, corporate giving and sponsorships, foundation and government grants; capital campaigns.
- Cultivate relationships with past, current and prospective donors through personal visits, articulate correspondence, timely gift acknowledgement; strategic administration and recognition of gifts.
- Model and develop the capacity of staff and board members to participate in development by communicating need and giving opportunities.
- Maintain and enhance fundraising systems, reporting, accountability, and evaluation of the development process.
- Oversee preparation of proposals, grant applications, and reports.
Salary range: $25-30,000/year
Job classification: Part-time; some weekends required
To apply: Please direct all replies (including a copy of a resume and three references and a cover letter) by May 14, 2021, to:
Darke County Historical Society
Attn: Development Director
205 N Broadway
Greenville, OH 45331
This position is open until filled. For more information, visit www.garstmuseum.org/post/garst-museum-job-opportunity.
Posted: April 16, 2021
Deadline: May 14, 2021