The Granville Historical Society seeks a Director.
The Granville Historical Society (GHS), founded in 1885, operates a Museum in the historic Bank of the Alexandrian Society on Broadway in downtown Granville. GHS also currently owns and oversees the Old Academy Building on North Main Street. The Museum building includes exhibits, collections, archives, and a museum store. The Society publishes books and periodicals, hosts lectures, and is available to the public to assist with genealogical and historical research.
Position overview: The Society seeks a creative and dynamic individual to pioneer the role of Director for the organization. This person will provide leadership stability and inspiration for an active volunteer Board of Directors, part-time office administrator, volunteers, and members within the organization. This person will also serve as the public face of GHS in the community.
The Director will provide leadership and administration for the operations and development of GHS in the execution of the Society’s goals, objectives, and mission. Working alongside the Board, the Director is responsible for GHS partnerships, fundraising, and budgets as well as developing positive relationships with volunteers and the community.
The Director reports to the President of the Board. The position is part-time at 15 hours a week, with a flexible schedule, as needed to accommodate events/programs, etc, and pays $22.00 an hour.
The Board recognizes that this is a part time position with many responsibilities and the Board will work with the Director to establish priorities.
A desirable candidate will:
- Have work experience or education in a compatible area
- Be the public face of GHS with donors, members and the broader community
- Be comfortable in all forms of communication - including public speaking, digital media, and writing
- Have experience in a broad range of financial, fundraising, strategic planning, and administrative activities
- Love history and its preservation
- Be flexible and willing to recommend and learn new ways of thinking and doing
- Actively value and support a broad range of volunteers in the GHS organization
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend events around Granville and Licking County. This may include meetings and events at the Chamber of Commerce, local non-profits, public gatherings, etc.
- Work closely with others to keep the website active and accurate. Likewise, work closely with the publications chair to coordinate newsletters and other communications.
- Sustain personal communication with GHS donors, supporters, and members through various forms of communication. This may include: in person meetings, e-newsletters, social media, and written correspondence.
- Organize/attend meetings with Granville businesses/organizations/city officials.
Board Relations and Financial Performance
- Be responsible for leading the organization in a manner that supports and guides its mission as defined by the Board.
- With the Board President, orient new Board members and keep all Board members updated on the activities of GHS.
- Support Annual Fund and Endowment efforts.
- Research and secure grant funding for operations and program-related projects.
- Cultivate and solicit corporate and other sponsorships.
- Work with the Board treasurer to manage income/expense for the organization.
- Ensure the Society follows ethical non-profit practices.
- Work in tandem with board committees to help them attain their goals.
Visitor Services and Public Relations
- Manage day to day operations.
- Function as the point person for patron inquiries about the Society and work closely with the archivist in the public interest.
- Increase local and regional public awareness of the unique mission and programming offered by the GHS so that it is broadly recognized and attracts people to the museum as visitors, volunteers, and donors..
Volunteer Management and Training
- Create volunteer job descriptions for specific duties needed within the organization.
- Oversee and support the volunteer coordinator.
- Actively recruit volunteers by advertising opportunities through ads on social media and the Society’s website, and cultivating potential volunteers in the community in person.
- Oversee and grow educational programs..
- Assist GHS in monitoring public history trends and recommending appropriate programming to keep pace with a changing environment.
Work Environment: Work is generally expected to occur on-site at the museum unless job responsibilities require a presence in the community. Office space is shared one day a week with the office administrator. The work is generally sedentary, although there is walking between buildings, showing tours through the buildings, general cleaning and tidying, and carrying lightweight items.
Note: this job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the role includes all work apparent and assigned to meet the needs of a thriving Granville Historical Society.
Salary range: $22 per hour (15 hours per week).
Job classification: Part-time
To apply: Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and a list of three references. Email to [email protected] to the attention of the President of the Board. Application is open until position is filled. For more information, visit www.granvillehistory.org/.
Posted: April 5, 2023