Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Curator of Living Collections.
The role offers the opportunity to curate a diverse and well-documented living collection, across both HF&G campuses, of plants encompassing signature collections. You will be developing collection plans in alignment with HF&G’s mission & vision, 5yr strategic plan, collections management policy and in-process master site planning. As Curator, you will lead the systematic evaluation of plants in these collections and share Curatorial knowledge and expertise through a range of channels to inspire others with the beauty, wonder and value of HF&G Living Collections. This is an exciting time to be a part of the HF&G team.
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions — Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. By joining HF&G, you have the opportunity to work in a beautiful setting and also have the ability to contribute to our fulfilling and groundbreaking work.
- Knowledge of modern curatorial standards and the literature of spontaneous and cultivated woody plants required.
- Knowledge of plant taxonomy, identifying plants to species level across a range of genera.
- Ability to identify major plant diseases and insect pests required.
- Knowledge of or willingness and ability to learn to use BG-Base, GIS (Geographic Information System), GPS (Global Positioning System) technologies.
- Ability to take initiative, manage and set priorities with a flexible open approach.
- Experience in effectively leading projects within budget and on time.
- Excellent organization and observation skills with strong attention to detail and enjoy the ability to set priorities and keep to deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written to interact with teams and the public.
- Proficiency with computer software (Word and Excel required, TEAMS, SharePoint is a plus).
- Master’s degree in botany, horticulture, public horticulture, or related field preferred. Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of caring for a woody plant collection as Curator, Plant Records Manager or similar.
- Experience working in a public garden, university garden or horticultural organization preferred.
- A valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record are required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy if using company vehicles
- Must undergo a criminal background check
Salary range: $85,000, based on experience
Job classification: Full-time
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=405940&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: April 23, 2021