Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Director of Gardens and Glasshouses, Cleveland Botanical Garden.
Holden Forests & Gardens is searching for a Director of Gardens and Glasshouses to be located at the Cleveland Botanical Garden. This is a dynamic, collaborative, and creative role developing beautiful gardens and inspiring shows. With scope to mentor your team to hone and present exceptional horticultural skills through garden renovations and artistic displays. You will have the opportunity to express your love of plants within HF&G collections framework and share this knowledge with the public too. Working collaboratively with Exhibits, Facilities & Guest Services teams, this is a superb opportunity to help make a visit to CBG memorable and repeatable.
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions — Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. When you join HF&G, you join a team of professionals who are passionate about improving Northeast Ohio’s communities through our mission-driven programs. By joining HF&G, you will have the opportunity to work in a beautiful setting and can contribute to our fulfilling and groundbreaking work.
The Director of Gardens and Glasshouses will be based at Cleveland Botanical Garden in University Circle with occasional cross-campus working at Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, Ohio. The Director will:
- Oversee and manage the advancement and care of the gardens, glasshouses, grounds and animal program at the 10acre Cleveland Botanical Garden campus.
- Lead a team of horticulturists, gardeners and animal care staff that support the Horticulture & Collections program.
- Oversee the planning, development and maintenance of gardens such as rose, topiary, perennial, kitchen, Japanese, fermentation, and woodland.
- Oversee the planning, development, and maintenance of two glasshouses.
- Expand the living collections to encompass woody plants of aesthetic and scientific value, with focus on signature collections as guided by the Curator.
- Collaborate with the Exhibits and Facilities departments to oversee the creative design of the horticultural elements of annual seasonal shows, install and care for the plants.
- Share horticultural knowledge and expertise through public speaking and in writing.
- Master’s degree in public horticulture, horticulture, landscape architecture, botany or related field preferred, Bachelor’s required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience in a public garden, park district, nursery or greenhouse, or similar horticultural organization preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressive management experience leading and mentoring staff preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in landscape/garden design, garden management and maintenance, and irrigation system management.
- Ability to take initiative, manage and set priorities with a flexible open approach.
- A passion for plants with extensive plant care skills and capability to cultivate ornamental and native plants.
- Strong capabilities in identifying plants to species level across a range of genera.
- Knowledge of plant taxonomy is a plus.
- A common knowledge of pest and disease and treatment methods.
- Experience in effectively leading teams to accomplish multiple projects within budget and on time.
- Possess a pesticide applicator’s license or have the ability to acquire one.
- A leadership style which projects a positive image, with the nature and ability to mentor and guide a developing team effectively.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written to interact and develop productive relationships with teams, staff and public.
- A strong sense of garden aesthetics with ability to communicate and implement concepts.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to set priorities, keep to deadlines and work well in tight timelines.
- Proficiency with computer software (Word and Excel required. TEAMS, SharePoint and PowerPlan is a plus)
- Practical experience of large budget planning and costs management.
Salary range: $70,000, based on experience
Job classification: Full-time
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit résumé to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=406486&source=CC2&lang=en_US.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: April 23, 2021