Holden Forests & Gardens seeks an Educational Illustrator Intern (botanical garden).
Holden Forests & Gardens is comprised of two world-renowned public gardens; Holden Arboretum located in rural Kirtland, Ohio and Cleveland Botanical Garden located in the urban University Circle region of Cleveland, Ohio. This position’s location is at Cleveland Botanical Garden which includes 10 acres of outdoor themed gardens, 2 indoor glasshouses and visitor, staff, event, education and parking facilities.
The Educational Illustrator Intern will be supervised through the Exhibits and Experiences department and will contribute to the development of educational graphics for special exhibits at Cleveland Botanical Garden. The intern must be a proactive, self-starter comfortable with working independently and corresponding with professionals across the organization via telephone and email. The intern will work very closely with HF&G Marketing and Communications Department, in collaborative efforts to develop graphics that tell Cleveland Botanical Garden’s stories while maintaining brand standards.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Contribute to final interpretation plan for Orchid Mania,
- Develop educational graphics for annual Orchid Mania exhibit and interpretation
- Develop an educational program on Garden Guide mobile website educational tool, working closely with HF&G Horticulture and Collections, Graphic Design, and Exhibits and Experiences Teams
- Present final educational program to select HF&G staff
Qualifications and Skills:
- Intern must have experience and proficiency in a Windows/PC work environment as well as strong organization skills
- He/She/They must have enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- He/She/They must have their own working computer and access to the internet.
- The intern should also demonstrate an interest in non-traditional museums spaces such as formal gardens.
- Intern should be proficient in creating still drawings and images that communicate a story, message or idea through a combination of traditional and digital media.
- Intern must pass a relevant background check before hire.
- Studio Institute screens applicants for eligibility before they apply to this position.
- To qualify, students must:
- Be enrolled full-time in a Bachelor’s program as a Junior or Senior as of January 2021
- Reside or attend college/university in Cleveland
- Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $5,000 or less on their FAFSA
- Once on board, orientation consists of virtually meeting the staff from select departments in which the intern will work closely with, touring the building with safe social distancing measures, and meeting with HR. Intern will also go through a brief orientation session introducing Holden Forests and Gardens IT services, such as email, O365, server use and file set up, etc.
- Intern work schedule will require approximately 16 hours per week. This schedule is expected to change depending on HFG exhibit schedule and number of graphics needed.
- Training will consist of a virtual meeting with Manager of Interpretive Services and Director of Exhibits and Experiences to discuss the goals of the department at Holden Forests and Gardens and the larger role this internship’s project will play in the achievement of these goals. Project timeline and expectations will be discussed.
- Additional training pertaining to maintenance and management of HF&G mobile website educational tool, Garden Guide, will be conducted during the first week of the internship.
- Internship supervisor is working from home with occasional presence on-site which varies depending on exhibit schedule. Starting in Spring, supervisor will also often work sister campus, Holden Arboretum. Supervisor will expect to meet at least once per week, with possible additional meetings depending on exhibit schedule, to check in on timeline benchmark.
Salary range: $10-$12, open to negotiation
Job classification: internship
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately. Qualified applicants should apply for this internship through Studio Institute THEN students can apply through ADP.
Holden Forests & Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens. Holden Forests & Gardens is an ADA employer and a drug-free workplace.
Posted: December 9, 2020