Holden Forests & Gardens seeks an Intern – Pollinator (arboretum).
Holden Forests & Gardens is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions — the Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. The 14th largest public garden in the country, Holden Forests & Gardens has nearly 17,000 member households and an annual attendance of more than 350,000 for whom we provide inspirational and educational visitor experiences. For more information, visit holdenarb.org. and cbgarden.org.
Holden Forests & Gardens has an internship position available at the Holden Arboretum Campus. This position involves meadow restoration ecology including monitoring plants and invertebrates, both in the core gardens and natural areas. This is a shared position between the Horticulture and Research Departments. Department: Becker Legacy Grant.
- Director of Arboretum Horticulture and Plant Biologist
- Work with Horticulturists
- Works with Gardeners
- Work with Nursery Supervisor
- Work with Research Staff
- Work with Seasonal Workers
- Work with Volunteers
- The Holden Arboretum – Kirtland, Ohio – less than 30 miles east of Cleveland.
- Encompassing more than 3,600 acres of cultivated gardens, woody plant collections and natural forested areas
- Holden Forests & Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden.
Responsibilities Duties may, but are not limited to:
- Data collection – plants and invertebrates (pollinators)
- Data entry and analysis
- Land management – may require the use of herbicide
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student, or recently graduated.
- Degree focus must be in biological science, botany, forestry, environmental science, horticulture, etc.
- Previous experience with plant an invertebrate ID is preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Experience setting up and conducting biological field surveys
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in natural science or a related field.
- Applicants must have their own transportation
- Excellent ability to communicate and interact with the general public
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check, credit and substance screening
- Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Sitting, standing, kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching on uneven work surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Transport oneself by foot over a variety of terrain that may be wet, slippery, uneven or rocky
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Willingness to work in and around poison ivy, poison sumac, stinging insects, ticks and in the sun
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Outside work is required (in all weather conditions)
- June through August - twelve-(12) week commitment
- Starting / ending dates flexible.
- Five days per week, Monday-Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Approximately 40 hours per week
- Gain practical, hands-on experience in sustainable landscape practices and procedures
- Field trips to public and commercial horticulture facilities, relevant local training, meetings, etc.
- Attend Holden classes and programs for free (unless materials fee applies).
Salary range: $11 per hour
Job classification: Hourly, non-exempt, internship
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and 3 professional references online: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=403657&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: January 13, 2021