Holden Forests & Gardens has an opening for an Internship - Horticulture (garden).
Holden Forests & Gardens, The Cleveland Botanical Garden campus has internship positions available in the horticulture department. This position will expose interns to the many facets of sustainable landscape maintenance practices, planting design development and installation, public engagement during tours, exposure to glasshouse and animal care, all within a public garden setting.
- Reports to Director of Gardens and Glasshouse
- Works with Horticulturists
- Works with Glasshouse Manager
- Works with Animal Care Specialist
- Works with Volunteers
- The Cleveland Botanical Garden – Cleveland, Ohio – located on Wade Oval in University Circle.
- Encompassing 10 acres of beautiful, urban outdoor gardens and the 18,000-square-foot Eleanor Armstrong Smith Glasshouse.
- The Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden recently integrated, making the organization the 13th largest public garden in the U.S. The organization is now recognized as the Holden Forest and Gardens (HF&G)
- Assist with care of perennial gardens, woody shrub and tree species and annual container plantings, and general maintenance within the glasshouse that may include helping the Animal Care Specialist. Duties would include, but are not limited to: watering, pruning, deadheading, planting, weeding, mulching, fertilizing, mowing, propagating, and integrated pest management (IPM).
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student, or recently graduated.
- Degree focus must be in horticulture or a related area of study such as botany, landscape architecture, etc.
- Previous experience with gardening of landscaping work is preferred.
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career in horticulture or a related field.
- Applicants must have their own transportation
- Excellent ability to communicate and interact with the general public.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, kneeling and bending on uneven work surfaces.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Must pass a criminal background check and substance screening
Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Transport oneself by foot over a variety of terrain that may be wet, slippery, uneven or rocky
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Some outside work is required (in all weather conditions)
- April through September (prefer minimum 12 week commitment).
- Starting / ending dates flexible.
- Five days per week, Monday-Thursday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Saturday or Sunday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm shift will be required, weekend shift TBD by Director with interns.
- Approximately 40 hours per week
- Interns will rotate through the eleven separate garden areas and the glasshouse on the CBG campus, working with our horticulturists, glasshouse manager and animal care specialist.
- The opportunity to work on an individual project and make a final presentation.
- Gain practical, hands-on experience in sustainable landscape maintenance practices and procedures involving a wide variety of woody and herbaceous plants in a public garden setting.
- Field trips to public and commercial horticulture facilities, relevant local training, meetings, etc.
- Attend Holden Forest and Garden classes and programs for free (unless materials fee applies).
- Interns are responsible for obtaining housing.
- Interns are responsible for obtaining transportation.
Additional Benefits: Uniform stipend
Salary Range: $10
Job Classification: Hourly, Internship
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume online: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&jobId=49874&lang=en_US&source=CC3&ccId=19000101_000001
The Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: January 30, 2019
Deadline: March 1, 2019