Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a part-time Nursery Technician (arboretum).
Holden Forests & Gardens is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions. It is comprised of two campuses, the urban Cleveland Botanical Garden campus located in Cleveland’s University Circle and the rural Holden Arboretum campus located in Kirtland. Our mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. Holden Forests & Gardens is making a positive impact in the region through urban greening and forestry initiatives, environmental research, nature-based educational programs, and world-class visitor experiences at its two campuses.
The nursery is an integral part of HF&G and works directly with Collections, Conservation, Horticulture, Research, and Education departments to achieve the mission and strategic goals of the organization. In addition, we provide opportunities for our guests to purchase quality plants that can be found within our Collections through our plant sales. This provides an opportunity to work with and learn about a diversity of plants. In addition, the nursery operation is working towards more sustainable operations in both resources and management of plant health and looks forward to expanding our knowledge and skills in that arena.
Holden Forests & Gardens is looking to hire a part time Nursery Technician. The Nursery Technician will be to assist the Nursery Manager in the day-to-day operations of the nursery including plant care, propagation, pest management, and various nursery/greenhouse maintenance tasks. This creates opportunities to utilize current expertise and to develop further knowledge and skills in an area of particular interest. To assist in this, work the nursery utilizes seasonal, volunteer, and intern staff.
Responsibilities: (include, but are not limited to)
- Performs plant health and maintenance duties
- Provides plant care daily as directed by the Nursery Supervisor. This includes watering, fertilizing, pesticide applications, pruning, weeding, propagation, planting and repotting.
- Regular/daily monitoring of plant health within the nursery operation including nutrient and pest monitoring.
- Application of pest and disease controls including sustainable and biological management practices.
- Shares responsibility for weekend duties and after-hour emergencies
- Supervises seasonal/volunteer/intern staff at direction of Nursery Manager
- Other duties as assigned.
- Record Keeping & Miscellaneous
- Maintain and keep accurate records for plant health and application of pest control methods. These metrics will be used in monitoring strategic goal achievement
- Maintains and provides accurate records of plants received and propagated for the plant collection database (BG-Base program), and ensures that plants are accurately labeled
- Professional involvement
- Participate on and contribute to HF&G committees
- Share expertise with staff and public through collaboration with education, marketing, and interpretation teams
- Knowledge of plant growth
- Knowledge of plant nutrients
- Knowledge of common landscape plant pests and their controls
- Knowledge of Biological controls for plant pests
- Knowledge and proficiency in basic office software
- Detail oriented
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in team environments
- Ability to speak, write, and understand English
- Must pass a criminal background check and substance screening
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Associate or B.S. Horticulture preferred, however a candidate with 2 years appropriate nursery/greenhouse experience, in lieu of a degree will be considered.
- Experienced grower/propagator preferred with knowledge of plant health/IPM
- Commercial pesticide applicator license or willingness to get one at HF&G expense.
Physical Demands: (Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Regular lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain, work in all weather conditions typical to NEO.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing and reaching
- Climb ladders, reach, pull, push, grab
- Position based at Holden Arboretum campus (Long Science Center) located in Chardon
- Part time, approximately 3 days per week
Salary range: $16.00 hour depending on experience.
Job classification: part-time
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit resume and 3 professional references: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=401934&source=CC2&lang=en_US.
Holden Forests & Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens. Holden Forests & Gardens is an ADA employer and a drug-free workplace
Posted: December 9, 2020