Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Public relations Director.
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is comprised of two campuses, the Cleveland Botanical Garden located in Cleveland’s University Circle and the rural Holden Arboretum located in Kirtland. Holden Forests & Gardens is making a positive impact in the region through urban greening and forestry initiatives, environmental research, educational programs, and world-class visitor experiences at our two campuses.
We are seeking a Public Relations Director to develop, pursue, fulfill and manage earned media placements across print, broadcast, digital, social and other public-facing avenues to further Holden Forests & Gardens’ mission. The Public Relations Director will counsel the organization on best practices and opportunities, while serving as lead on story/content creation and external communications though multiple channels. This position also oversees social media and the organization’s quarterly magazine.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as an ambassador for HF&G with the media, partners, patrons and community
- Develop/execute strategies to create and uphold a positive image for HF&G across channels
- Develop an annual media pitch calendar
- Create and distribute press releases and secure regular story placements
- Target local, national and sometimes international media (consumer/trade/specialty platforms)
- Develop and manage media contact lists and maintain mutually beneficial media relationships
- Track and report result of pitches and placements, providing reach/impressions data
- Oversee content and publishing details of HF&G’s quarterly member magazine
- Manage and provide content for several HF&G social media channels
- Together with marketing team, create and regulate consistent organizational talking points
- Work closely with HF&G departments to develop story ideas, set interviews and prepare staff
- Mine speaking and appearance opportunities for key staff or to further HF&G exposure
- Counsel HF&G leadership on public relations opportunities, provide talking points/scripts
- Address and advise on the execution of crisis communications
- Direct work of outside agencies and publishing houses, as applicable
- Provide thought leadership in terms of new ideas for outreach, exposure and opportunity
- Manage and advise on media analytics
- Minimum of five years working as a public relations professional
- Strong writing and communications skills with superior attention to detail
- Proven ability to pitch, manage and place stories in local and national publications and broadcast media
- Experience managing social media platforms a plus
- Experience with social media content and management
- Experience with a museum, large garden or attractions-based organization desirable
- Strong command of Microsoft Office and similar software
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Advertising, Marketing or similar
- Ability to work across both HF&G campus locations (Cleveland and Kirtland, OH)
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, written and public speaking
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Effective vision and hearing
Salary range: $60,000-$67,000
Job classification: Full-time
To apply: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=345690&source=CC3&lang=en_US
Holden Forests & Gardens is an equal opportunity, ADA employer and a drug-free workplace.
Posted: December 2, 2019