Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Research Intern.
The Program: Interns spend the summer conducting research at the Holden Arboretum, a part of Holden Forests & Gardens, located near Cleveland, OH. The Arboretum offers over 3,600 acres of forested land, extensive living plant collections, and high-tech laboratories. In addition to research, interns will be involved in professional development, such as: weekly journal clubs, scientific lectures, networking, and presenting a poster of their research at Holden’s SEARCH symposium.
Research: Interns will conduct research under one of five broad themes:
- Collection curation – How can we build a living plant collection to support research, plant conservation, and ornamental display?
- Community ecology – How do global change drivers including climate change, non-native species, and land use change restructure our natural world?
- Evolutionary ecology – How do eco-evolutionary dynamics shape plant responses to environmental change?
- Plant physiology – How does plant physiology vary across environments and over time, and how does this shape the distribution of plants on earth?
- Soil ecology – How do microbes in the soil shape plant communities and their function in the ecosystem?
Skills learned over the summer may include: plant and insect identification; microbial isolation and culturing; extracting, amplifying, and analyzing DNA; plant breeding and propagation including tissue culture; measuring plant gas exchange. Regardless of the area of focus, interns will also learn about experimental design, data analysis in R, scientific communication, and professional development
Eligibility: Open to US citizens and permanent residents who are current undergraduates or recent graduates. Holden Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. Interns are responsible for their own transportation.
Timeline: Summer 2021 – 8 weeks – exact start and end dates flexible
Salary range: $11.00 per hour
Job classification: Internship
To apply: Submit applications by February 1st, 2021. For full consideration, include: 1) a resume, 2) names of two references, and 3) a letter of interest specifying research theme(s) preference. To apply visit: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=403591&source=CC2&lang=en_US.
Posted: January 12, 2021
Deadline: February 1, 2021