Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Seasonal Guest Services Representative.
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions — Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. The 14th largest public garden in the country, HF&G has close to 15,000 member households and more than 380,000 annual visitors who enjoy inspirational and educational experiences. HF&G is making a positive impact in the region and beyond through urban greening and forestry initiatives, environmental research, nature-based educational programs, and world-class visitor experiences at its two campuses.
When you join HF&G, you join a team of professionals who are passionate about improving Northeast Ohio’s communities through our mission-driven programs. By joining HF&G, you will not only have the opportunity to work in a beautiful setting, you will have the opportunity to contribute to our fulfilling and groundbreaking work.
The Guest Services department seeks a friendly team member to facilitate an exceptional guest experience by offering great customer service while educating guests, selling admission, promoting membership, and contributing to a positive team atmosphere. Training is provided. This position is supervised by the Associate Director of Guest Services. Weekend, weekday, occasional evening, and occasional holiday work required. This position’s primary location is at the Holden Arboretum which spans 3,600 acres; the 200 core acres include themed gardens, trails, and plant collections with access to natural areas. There are multiple buildings, structures, and shelters on the grounds for visitors to enjoy.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Actively welcome and check in guests and members upon arrival; provide an orientation of the property and programs that support the mission and success of Holden Forests & Gardens
- Provide friendly, clear, and courteous customer service to encourage return visitation
- Process sales transactions for admission, membership, programs, and merchandise quickly and accurately using a computerized cash register with Altru, the organization’s constituent management and point-of-sale system
- Orient guests to COVID safety practices and ensure they are being followed by guests and staff
- Contribute positively to a team of seasonal guest services staff, volunteers, and others
- Answer guest telephone calls and emails, and assist guests with in-person inquiries
- Maintain the appearance, cleanliness and safety of public spaces, staff workspaces, and facilities
- Drive Holden Forests & Gardens’ golf carts on the property as needed
- Support on-site meetings and programs and assist with room set-up
- Potentially perform shifts at the Canopy Walk & Emergent Tower managing and monitoring guest flow
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Retail and/or cash handling experience preferred
- Experience with customer service in a similar setting desired
- Must enjoy working with the general public, families, and children
- Effective and appropriate verbal and written communication
- Ability to work within a team and be self-motivating when working individually
- Ability to take initiative and problem-solve
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record are required to be covered on Holden Forests & Gardens’ vehicle insurance policy if using company vehicles
- Must pass a criminal background check and substance screening
- Must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Ability to understand basic instructions using the English language
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Perform tasks in all weather conditions; temperatures may range from 0-103 F
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Kneel, bend, stoop, grab, and reach
- Regular lifting and carrying of up to 20 pounds, occasionally 30 pounds
- Ability to work on outdoor visitor attractions on occasion, which includes climbing 202 stairs and standing at platforms elevated 65 to 120 feet above ground
- Season runs April 1 through November 28, 2021.Full-season employment preferred, but flexibility exists if required.
- Must have a flexible schedule and be able to work weekends, weekdays, occasional evenings, and occasional holidays
- Non-exempt (hourly), seasonal
- Approximately 24-40 hours per week, shifts are generally 8:30am-5:00pm
- Pay rate is $11.50 per hour
Salary range: $11.50
Job classification: Seasonal, non-exempt
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified applicants should submit résumé and 3 professional references: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=405107&source=CC2&lang=en_US. Deadline to apply: May 1, 2021.
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens.
Posted: February 25, 2021
Deadline: May 1, 2021