Holden Forests & Gardens seeks a Summer Seasonal – Education (botanical garden).
Holden Forests & Gardens is comprised of two world-renowned public gardens; Holden Arboretum located in rural Kirtland, Ohio and Cleveland Botanical Garden located in the urban University Circle region of Cleveland, Ohio. This position’s location is at Cleveland Botanical Garden which includes 10 acres of outdoor themed gardens, 2 indoor glasshouses and visitor, staff, event, education, and parking facilities.
The Education department has a summer seasonal position (approximately Mid-May through Mid-August) available in the Education Department at Cleveland Botanical Garden. The summer seasonal will support the education department with a focus on maintaining the Hershey Children’s Garden. Primary duties include maintaining grounds and guest engagement through program delivery.
- Reports to the Hershey Children’s Garden Coordinator
- Works with the Environmental Educator
- Works with Volunteers
- Collaborates with other departments as needed
Hershey Children’s Garden
- Assist with the maintenance and horticultural upkeep, including all plantings, garden features, displays in the Hershey Children’s Garden.
- Ensure all interactive areas of the Hershey Children’s Garden are in good condition.
- Ensure handouts and interpretation are well stocked and ready for guest use.
- Deliver inquiry-based weekend family programming and assist with other weekend and evening educational and outreach events as needed.
- Serve as a point of contact for Hershey Children’s Garden volunteers on weekends.
- Collaborate with volunteers to complete projects.
Camp Programming & Garden Outreach
- Assist the Environmental Educator with preparations for camp.
- Represent Holden Forest & Gardens at community outreach events often through engagement activities.
- Assist with other responsibilities, programs, and events as necessary in the Education Department.
- High school graduate.
- Preferred interest or training in the field of: Education, environmental science, horticulture, agriculture, museum studies, social sciences, or related.
- Experience in youth education, leadership, or counselor roles.
- Experience working with volunteers.
- Exemplary communication skills.
- Experience with or strong interest in plant care and gardening preferred, training can be provided.
- Availability to work weekends and some weekdays and evenings.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and work outdoors in extreme weather conditions.
- Sitting, standing, kneeling and bending on uneven work surfaces.
- Must pass a criminal background check and drug test.
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- Start/End Dates: May through end-October (25 weeks).
- Starting and ending dates are flexible.
- Approximately 20 hours per week: Weekends 9:00 AM to 5:30PM, with some evening hours.
Salary: $11.50 per hour
Job classification: Temporary, part-time
To apply: Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit resume and 3 professional references: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=db704977-d8c5-4be2-a36a-23f4002eddc0&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=404932&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Holden Forests & Gardens (Holden Arboretum / Cleveland Botanical Garden) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost arboreta.
Posted: February 19, 2021