The Massillon Museum seeks an Education and Outreach Manager, Full-Time.
Massillon Museum seeks a full-time education and outreach manager to oversee its education department. The Education and Outreach Manager will work closely with the executive director in developing content that aligns with the Museum’s mission. Specific responsibilities include:
- Managing and developing partnerships with schools to offer curriculum-based programs related to the Museum’s collection and exhibitions.
- Aligning programs with current state learning standards.
- Managing outreach and liaising with schools, community groups, and other target audiences to arrange a program of field trips, guided tours, and/or demonstrations.
- Contributing to the design and interpretation of exhibitions and other public programming to enhance its educational value.
- Coordinating the annual Celebration in Art K-12 student art exhibition, and display spaces adjacent to the educational classrooms.
- Working with staff to coordinate the Fred F. Silk Community Room Gallery exhibitions, maintaining and programming the Museum’s Sensory Room, preparation of publications or copy and media-based products for all education-related programs.
- Developing and implementing adult education programs related to the Museum’s collections and exhibitions.
- Oversight of the ceramics studio and photographic darkroom.
- Creating and scheduling workshops and classes for all ages within the Museum.
Other responsibilities include:
- Managing contracted personnel who lead onsite and offsite educational programs.
- Hiring and supervising any interns or staff members working in the education department.
- Maintaining educational statistics for grant reporting.
- Building and managing the docent program, with collaboration from other staff members.
- Leading education-related meetings.
- Managing diverse budgets and maintaining financial records for education department finances.
As the Museum is in the process of expanding the facility, the Education and Outreach Manager will have an opportunity to program the new space, and work closely with the staff to create interpretative content for the new exhibition galleries.
Specific programs for which this individual would be responsible on behalf of the Museum, in addition to other duties as assigned, include the NEA Big Read, Traveling Treasures, monthly Do the Mu series, and the annual downtown Fun Fest.
About MassMu: Massillon Museum is an AAM-accredited institution with a mission to collect, preserve, and exhibit art and artifacts to enrich our community through education and experience. Celebrating its 86th year, the Massillon Museum is a nonprofit art and history museum dedicated to nurturing the creative spirit, making the arts accessible to all, and providing a home for community activities. MassMu provides programs and educates the community through its permanent collection, changing exhibitions, educational programs, and dynamic collaborations.
Job Requirements: The Educator will have at least a bachelor’s degree in fine arts, arts education, history, museum studies or related field, with at least two years of experience in education or program development. He/she will have experience in the education and/or program area of a museum or cultural institution, and will have the ability to design and implement educational programs. This individual shall be highly motivated, organized, exhibit a professional demeanor, have the ability to work hands-on in a dynamic team setting, be proficient across multiple social media platforms, and meet deadlines. Scout certification for working with Boy Scout groups is required for this position, but can be obtained once hired. Additional requirements include a demonstrated ability in written and oral communication and museum education techniques; grant writing or strong writing skills; knowledge of Ohio Learning Standards; knowledge of evaluation methods; and keeping abreast of accessibility research and practices.
Salary Range: $32,000
Job Classification: Full-time, salary
To apply: Interested applicants should direct a cover letter and resume by e-mail to the attention of Alexandra Nicholis Coon, Executive Director, Massillon Museum, 121 Lincoln Way E., Massillon, OH, 44646, and send electronically to: [email protected] no later than March 31, 2019 at 5:00pm.
Posted: March 5, 2019
Deadline to Apply: March 31, 2019