The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center seeks a Director of Event Services and Retail Operations.
The statements below reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the major responsibilities of the identified position and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job. An asterisk (*) indicates that this is an essential function of the job as outlined in the American with Disabilities Act. This position reports to Senior Director of Event Services and Retail Operations.
Position Overview: The Director of Event Sales and Operations is responsible for selling events and programs on behalf of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. The Director will be responsible for driving sales primarily through third party client events, while also offering assistance on internal events and upselling Museum Programs. The Director delivers consistent brand-quality service and hospitality to our guests. This role will direct bookings while coordinating and overseeing event operations including catering, bar service, equipment, run of show, set up and tear down and all related client services during the event. The director is also responsible for following policies and procedures to provide a safe, friendly, and optimally functional environment. Additionally, the director will assist with event administrative functions including event calendars, communications and correspondence, invoicing and payment, as well as inventory. The director will establish and maintain departmental goals, policies, procedures, and strategies. It will also be the responsibility of the Director to maintaining all reporting necessary to monitor progress and create action plans to meet goals and compliance.
- Source new business opportunities to grow revenue and reputation
- Work with clients to tailor offerings for each client’s needs and interests
- Oversee event logistics including load in, set up, tear down and load out including caterer, a/v, public safety and related needs for run of show
- Maintain the liquor license and alcohol inventory consistent with the needs of bookings on behalf of the institution
- Identify and secure internal, caterer and vendor logistics, and oversee event day execution
- Lead client, caterer, and vendor site visits to identify event needs and run of show
- Liaise between client, internal departments and vendors and offer best vendor for client needs from preferred vendor list
- Lead institutional operations meetings to plan operational needs for upcoming events and to ensure alignment of events with educational programs, community engagement, development, and similar initiatives
- Coordinate master events calendar for maximum efficiency of deploying resources
- Represent NURFCs best interest in meetings including, but not limited to, the JOT meeting managed by SPPlus
- Lead by example in creating a safe (meeting all fire codes), clean, stocked, organized, efficient and presentable event space, supply rooms and office areas
- Solicit feedback from clients, internal departments, caterer, and vendors to identify client satisfaction and areas for operations improvement
- Outreach to ensure that NURFC maintains and expands their position in the industry as a leader in Event Offerings
- Create room reservations, sales items and related client account information in POS and event management databases
- Design and implement a sales strategy to drive sustainable, long-term revenue growth
- Answer incoming sales inquiries, including phone calls and online requests and effectively communicate product offerings, pricing and institutional history, events, and programs to help drive sales
- Take payment for client invoices and assist with payments for caterer and vendor invoices
- Maintain integrity of reservations database including calendars, invoices, and client records
- Provide sales and client reports to leadership and marketing teams
- Design and execute sales plans targeting repeat clients specifically to communicate improvements of and interest in our product offerings
- Other duties as requested or assigned
Education and Experience
- High School diploma required; college degree preferred in areas of sales, events, client management, hospitality, tourism, catering/bartending, food management.
- Previous experience of at least 5 years in large venue/attractions (museums, theme parks, zoos, cultural or academic institution, resorts, convention centers, etc.); or a combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with program and event logistics including catering, bar management, audio-visual, décor and other event needs.
- Experience with client management software, Point of Sale systems and e-commerce.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated skill for closing sales
- Ability to maintain composure, practice sound judgment, problem solve, critically think, promote a spirit of cooperation and diplomacy, and communicate effectively and professionally in high pressure, fast-paced, emergency, or unusual situations.
- Must demonstrate excellent guest service and hospitality skills including conflict-resolution and service recovery
- Ability to work with diverse workforce and clientele
- Ability to type, complete complex data entry processes and math transactions with speed and accuracy, count cash with precision and effectively use computers/calculators to complete sales.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication (both verbal and written) and presentation skills with strong attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to produce, understand, interpret, and apply complex data, especially in relation to delivering a credible experience to clients.
- Strong self-motivation and initiative; ability to work both independently and as a team member, especially to maintain client, caterer, and vendor relationships.
- Excellent time management skills including the ability to initiate, prioritize, manage, and complete multiple tasks in an energetic environment and work well under pressure with periodic heavy workloads, constant demands, and frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Additional Information: Position is 40 hour/week, salary, with benefits. Requires flexible schedule to meet business demands, with many hours during evenings and weekends, and some holidays. Must be punctual and have reliable transportation. Must be able to lift, carry and pull up to 35 pounds. Frequent standing, walking, stooping, crouching.
Salary range: $45,000-$50,000
Job classification: full-time, exempt
To apply: Jobs - Cincinnati Museum Center (cincymuseum.org)
Posted: June 3, 2021