National Veterans Memorial and Museum seeks a Membership Associate.
The National Veterans Memorial and Museum (NVMM) in Columbus, Ohio, represents a national initiative of profound importance for our nation’s 20+ million living Veterans. There was previously no single monument or museum dedicated to the Veteran’s experience in the US until today. With 30,000 square feet available for exhibit space, this new institution celebrates the service and honors the sacrifice of Veterans throughout history. Envisioned by the late Senator John Glenn (1921-2016), Colonel, USMC (Retired), as a gathering place for Veterans across the country, the museum opened to the public on October 27, 2018. NVMM presents the Veteran experience through the lens of personal stories and life-changing experiences from which visitors will be inspired to learn more about our country’s history and actively engage in their communities as informed citizens. Learn more about the new home of the brave at nationalnvmm.org, and we encourage a visit to the Museum.
Position Overview: The NVMM seeks an energetic and engaging individual to support the Advancement Team in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of new museum members as well as to support the logistical fulfillment process for the membership program. The Membership Associate must have excellent communication skills, strong fundraising and/or sales skills, problem-solving aptitude, a donor-centric approach, ability to work in an evolving and fast-paced environment, and regular weekend availability.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work alongside the Visitor Services Associates during museum open hours and at special events to convey membership messaging to cultivate and solicit new members.
- Proactively promote membership value and charitable benefits to guests at every opportunity.
- Meet a monthly membership sales goal via onsite conversions.
- Provide membership representation at offsite events and outreach opportunities.
- Positively influence the guest experience and build membership appeal by illuminating meaningful connections with museum mission, programs, and exhibitions.
- Function as the primary administrator of new member package fulfillment including printing and mailing membership cards, letters, promotional items, and member renewal/stewardship pieces.
- Provide data entry support to the Advancement Services Coordination as well as the Membership & Recognition Coordinator with membership database management.
- Collaborate with all museum staff to ensure service excellence and timely follow-up to member inquiries.
- Function as part of the Advancement Team by assisting in identifying and referring potential major donors.
Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and professionally both orally and in writing. Strong interpersonal skills a must.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously, prioritize and plan work activities while meeting established deadlines. Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to evaluate, interpret, and present complex information effectively in professionally prepared documents or presentations. Must possess a demonstrated attention to detail in order to achieve a high degree of accuracy.
- Proficient in the use of administrative systems software, such as Blackbaud, Raiser’s Edge, Colleague, Constant Contact, etc. Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Independent and innovative self-starter who displays an ability to learn quickly and easily adapts to changing situations. Experience researching topics to gain knowledge and understanding when information gaps exist.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues within the division and other units to gain full understanding of the project and the desired outcome; ability to produce high quality and consistent results with assistance of team members; provide support to teammates involved in complex and special projects requiring additional resources and specific expertise/college and/or at least two years in providing event support. Experience working in a cultural institution is highly desired.
- Knowledge of and skill in the use of a variety of database and/or event systems to support event promotion.
- Demonstrate customer service and interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with diverse populations and work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the NVMM’s goals.
- Strong communication skills both orally and in writing, in order to advise management and prepare plans, reports, and other common materials.
- Ability to adapt to changes and competing priorities.
- Bachelor's degree and minimum of two years of experience in sales, development, advancement relations, communications and/or marketing.
- Mission-driven; passionate about the National Veterans Memorial and Museum mission.
- An understanding of and compassion for Veterans. Past military service desired, but not required.
- Proactive time management skills and the flexibility to pivot between tasks.
- This is a full-time position. Scheduled hours are a combination of open Museum and back-of-house hours Tuesday through Saturday from 9 am – 5 pm. Occasional evening hours may be required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and an ability to interact with persons of diverse jobs, backgrounds, and personalities.
- Donor-centric, extremely personable and polite, comfortable and friendly while interacting with the public.
- Dependability, adaptability and ability to work well with a team.
- Candidate must be able to maintain a professional manner by using tact, initiative, good judgment and confidentiality always.
NVMM Application Process: The National Veterans Memorial and Museum offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity: NVMM is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee because of age, color sex, disability, national origin, race, religion or military veteran status.
Salary range: $32,000- $38,000
Job classification: Full-time
To apply: For consideration, please email resume to [email protected]. Be sure to include the title of the position, Membership Associate, in the subject of the email. Only selected qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls will be accepted. For more information, visit https://nationalvmm.org/careers/.