Wood County Historical Society seeks a Museum Technician.
Purpose of Classification: To ensure that the Wood County Museum’s public spaces and associated areas are maintained at the highest standards of appearance and cleanliness. Responsibilities include assisting with museum activities including collection & exhibition projects and events.
Average work week is 20 hours, but hours may vary depending on deadlines and time-sensitive tasks, including some weekends and evenings to meet the public service needs of the Society and the Museum.
The Museum Technician is a regular part-time employee of the Wood County Historical Society, reports to the Society President or his/her designee, and follows directives of the Museum Director as appropriate and needed. Works directly for the Wood County Historical Society, a private, not-for-profit entity, and will not receive any compensation or benefits from Wood County or the Wood County Historical Society.
- Assist with exhibit tasks including moving artifacts, exhibit installation, light carpentry, light housekeeping, and light grounds keeping.
- Perform walkthroughs of buildings and site to address potential issues.
- Assist with on-site and community outreach, event tasks, and rentals including set-up and tear-down of chairs, tables, tents, and other items needed. Responsible for outdoor holiday decorating.
- Supply customer service as needed including greeting visitors, answering phones, and using cash register.
- Complete various custodial tasks including dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, trash removal, housekeeping, and laundry. Responsible for ordering custodial supplies.
- Assist with integrated pest management of museum and site.
- Work closely with the Society’s Facilities & Property Committee as secretary.
- Coordinate volunteers and community service. Identify volunteer and community service and performance issues and provide coaching or corrective action when appropriate.
- Provide content for newsletters and other media that promotes technician activities and volunteer crew projects.
- Work closely with Director, Curator, museum staff, interns, and county maintenance.
- May assist museum staff with other duties as assigned.
- Coursework or degree in construction management or two years relevant work-related experience.
- Ability to handle a varied workload, multi-task, and recognize how details fit into the greater picture.
- Outstanding organization skills and good follow-through. Must understand the urgency of deadlines and effectively complete time-sensitive tasks.
- Competent decision-making skills to identify and understand issues and opportunities; compare data from different sources and draw conclusions; take action consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Must be a self-starter to identify project/staff needs.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions indoors and out.
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Knowledge and ability to use hand and power tools.
- Reliable transportation.
- Proficiency using computers including Microsoft Word and Excel
Salary range: $13-$15 per hour
Job classification: Hourly, part-time,
To apply: Applications should include a one-page letter of intent and interest, a current resume, and three reference contacts. Paper and electronic PDF submissions accepted. Send to:
Wood County Museum
ATTN: WCHS Technician Search Committee
13660 County Home Rd.
Bowling Green, OH 43402
E-mailed PDF submissions should be sent to [email protected] with “Technician Search Committee” in the subject line.
For more information, visit www.woodcountyhistory.org/MuseumTechnician2021.pdf. Position is open until filled.
Posted: January 22, 2021